"Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places in Christ, just as He chose us in Him before the foundation of the world, that we would be holy and blameless before Him. In love He predestined us to adoption as sons through Jesus Christ to Himself, according to the kind intention of His will, to the praise of the glory of His grace, which He freely bestowed on us in the Beloved." Ephesians 1:3-6

Friday, August 22, 2014

Made: Laundry Detergent

If you know me well, you know I'm all about saving money.  And doing things myself. 
 
A couple friends have recently asked me for the recipe for making laundry detergent.  It was time for me to make it again so I figured I'd snap a couple pictures and post the recipe here.
 
I only make it about 2 times a year.  I make enough to fill my little ASU pail, which sits on my dryer.  I used to make a larger batch that lasted me about 9 months and kept it in a big plastic container.
 
It definitely saves money.  It is super easy.  My only downside is that it doesn't leave my clothes smelling super duper detergent smelly--because I like that.  But some people don't.  And it definitely cleans our clothes, so I sacrifice the delicious smell in order to save some cash.
 
I don't remember where I got this recipe from.  I definitely have tweaked it, but it still works and cleans well!
 
 
Ingredients:
 
 
1 box Baking Soda
1 box Washing Soda
1 box Borax
1 bar Fels-Napa Soap (I use 2)
1 box Oxi Clean (optional, but I like to add it)
Purex or Tide Crystals (purely for smell! So I buy whichever one I have a coupon for)
 
 
Directions:
 
Grate soap.  I use my food processor.
 
 
Find little helpers if you have them around.  But remind them it isn't cheese;)
 
Add Borax to the bin first, then baking soda, then the soap and other add ins.
 
 
Mix well.  My recipe called for 2 Tablespoons per load.  I use the scooper from the Oxi Clean--one per load, but sometimes two depending on what it is, how big it is, and how dirty it is!
 
I also use Melaleuca stain remover and it works AMAZING!  I can hook you up with a rep if you want to buy some;)

2 comments:

  1. Do you have a high efficiency washer? Do you know if it works with that kind?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do not have one...and I don't know anything about them so I guess I am no help! Sorry! But I bet you could find a recipe online that would work.

      Delete