"Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places in Christ, just as He chose us in Him before the foundation of the world, that we would be holy and blameless before Him. In love He predestined us to adoption as sons through Jesus Christ to Himself, according to the kind intention of His will, to the praise of the glory of His grace, which He freely bestowed on us in the Beloved." Ephesians 1:3-6

Thursday, October 16, 2014

Recipe: One Pot Red Beans and Rice

Today I had to scramble to figure out dinner because when I opened up the package of my whole chicken, it stunk like rotten eggs :(  I'm not certain why because when I buy whole chickens they always go directly to the freezer and it was in the fridge to thaw only just over 24 hours, so it couldn't have been spoiled from that short time.  But I didn't want to chance it so we threw it away:(
 
I had some sausage in the freezer and within a couple hours of being out it was thawed so I could use it for dinner.  These ingredients are something I often just have in the pantry, so it's a perfect go-to meal. 
 
I got the recipe from E-meals.com when I was a member in 2011.  It was one that I have kept and keep using.  It was always my one sausage recipe I used until I discovered this one pot cheesy sausage pasta recipe. 
 
 
It's easy.  It's one pot.  It's freezable.  It's yummy. It's a kid pleaser.  It's a winner in this house!
 
 
Ingredients:
-Smoked Sausage (turkey, beef, etc.)
-15 oz can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
-15 oz can diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained (I use a can of diced tomatoes and eye ball what I want of the green chili verde salsa)
-1 t chili powder
-1 cup water
1 cup instant rice, uncooked
 
 
 
Directions:
 
1. Cut sausage and sautee until browned.  This time I added some onion and celery in it!



2. Add all other ingredients EXCEPT rice. 

3. Bring to a boil.

4. Add rice.

 
5. Cover, reduce heat and simmer about 10 min or until water is absorbed

6. Serve and enjoy! We serve with biscuits.  You could add more beans to make it go farther...as we had NO leftovers from this the last time we made it....that tells you how much we like it:)

No comments:

Post a Comment