"Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places in Christ, just as He chose us in Him before the foundation of the world, that we would be holy and blameless before Him. In love He predestined us to adoption as sons through Jesus Christ to Himself, according to the kind intention of His will, to the praise of the glory of His grace, which He freely bestowed on us in the Beloved." Ephesians 1:3-6

Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Crockpot Meal: Chicken Pot Pie

I had all my ingredients for chicken pot pie tonight.  Was planning to make it the way I always do and double it for the freezer.

But the kids were all playing together and I was prepping lunch.  It dawned on me that I could just prep dinner too! And since the other recipe I use is a little time consuming (at least in the fact that I have to measure several things and then stand and stir at the stove for a few min), I thought I would try this new one out that I had in the cupboard.

 
I found the recipe here while searching online last week for crock pot recipes.  I wrote it down just in case, though I really didn't plan to use it because I love the other recipe so much!
 
It's super easy and will probably taste just as yummy.  I made it fresh, so my chicken or any part of the meal was not frozen. But I'm sure you could mix it all ahead and freeze it!   I also adapted the recipe to use the bisquick instead of the pie crusts.
 
Ingredients:
1 large can cream of chicken (I had cream of mushroom)
4-5 chicken breast (I used 2)
2 cups frozen veggies
potatoes, peeled and diced (I didn't have any on hand and normally don't add these, so I didn't do this)
2 cups cheese
2 pie shells (or bisquick like in my other recipe)
 
Directions:
Mix soup, chicken, and veggies (and potatoes) in crock pot. 
Cook low 6 hours, until chicken is cooked.  (I didn't have the idea until 12:30pm, so I cooked on high for 3.5 hours, then switched to low)
Chop/shred chicken once cooked (I cubed it before adding it to crock pot)
Pour mixture into one pie shell (Or into a pan with no shell)
Top with cheese.  Top with 2nd pie shell (or bisquick like me!)
Bake 400 degrees 20-30min if using pie shell or until golden brown if using bisquick (about 15-20 min)
 

TWO THUMBS UP!! I may never go back to the other way again! :)

 

2 comments:

  1. So when you use bisquick for this recipe and your original...how much do you use? and do you mix it with water or follow the box instructions?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually use Jiffy brand baking mix most of the time because it is cheaper. One time I used great value (Walmart brand) pancake mix! I just pour some in a bowl and mix w water until it is not lumpy and pretty thin consistency. Then pour on top. Sometimes I will have to make a little more and just pour that in the spots it didn't spread to the first time. :) I do tend to make it pretty thick since there is only the one layer of "crust". Make sense?

      Delete